Get Premium Legal Services
At the click of a button
Agreement for Sale and Sale Deed
Agreement for sale is a legal document consisting of the terms and conditions for the sale of a property. It is a promise of transfer of ownership on a future date.
The sale deed is entered into at the time of the actual sale of the property. Execution of a sale deed implies the transfer of ownership.
Buyer is the person who is promised the future ownership of a property in an agreement for sale and who acquires this ownership after execution of the sale deed. This can be an individual or a company.
Seller is someone who either owns the property or has the authority to transfer the ownership of the property being sold to the buyer. This can also be an individual or a company.
Essentials of an agreement for sale and a sale deed
Identification of parties.
Both the agreement for sale and the sale deed should clearly specify the name, age, and, address of the buyer and the seller.
Description of the property
They should include the exact location and an accurate description of the property like the dimensions and type of the property, etc.
They should mention the consideration to be paid by the buyer, along with the details of the payment schedule i.e., the date and time of the payment or of each installment, as the case may be.
Rights and liabilities of the parties
They should have separate clauses for the rights and responsibilities of the buyer and the seller each. This clause should also include the timeline for the sellers’ responsibilities like repair, painting, etc.
Date of transfer of ownership
Indemnity and dispute resolution
Why do you need an agreement for sale and a sale deed?
- Proof of the parties’ agreementIt is proof of the seller’s promise to transfer ownership of the property and the buyer’s promise to pay the agreed consideration.
- Necessary for obtaining a bank loanBanks usually refuse to provide a loan to the buyer without a signed agreement for sale.
- AccountabilityIn case of a breach of the terms of the agreement by either of the parties, they can be held responsible for the same and legal actions may be taken against them.
- A legal right or interest in the property
In addition to the above advantages, the biggest reason for executing a sale deed is that even if you have a signed agreement for sale in place and you, as a buyer, have received possession of the property, the title or ownership of the property would still remain with the seller, without an executed and registered sale deed. For all immovable properties valuing more than Rs.100/- registration of a sale deed is mandatory in India.
USPs of Lawfarm Services
- Fixed Fees
Fees are fixed for each Service and Plan. Browse through the Plans and choose one that you need.
- Fixed Steps and Timelines
Each Plan gives the timeline by which you will get your legal deliverable, and inclusions such as lawyer consultation, number of revisions, etc.
- Customer Success Manager
Your dedicated Customer Success Manager will make sure you get your Plan inclusions in time. For any queries you can contact him/her.
- Top Verified Lawyers
We work with lawyers with over 10,000 hours of experience in the area of work which you require. Your legal deliverable is in safe hands.
Are you one of these?
- An owner of a property interested to sell the property
- Anyone who has the authority and interest to sell a property
- Anyone looking to purchase a property
Do you relate to any of these statements?
- You as a seller want to ensure complete payment by the buyer
- Your terms of sale are peculiar to your requirements and your property
- You as a buyer want to ensure that the property is free of any liabilities
- You want to make sure that all documents are genuine and liability-free